Thursday, February 9, 2012

Feast

Once a month for the past 6 years, a group of five other gals and I have enjoyed getting together over sumptuous meals. Its all about the food, and gossip. We eat, writhe in ecstasy and talk like its the last time we will ever meet. These gals are such an intrinsic part of my life now, we've all had babies together (one is expecting number 3!), shared all the joys and pain of life together. Its a comfortable fit, which is more than I can say for my pants after last night's banquet!


Chinese New Year was the theme, and I was responsible for mains this time. My Mum makes  an amazing dish or pork belly and taro in a five spice/soy braise. My attempt to recreate this wasn't too bad at all, but instead of taro, I used shiitake mushrooms. ooh, just talking about it makes me want to bury my face in a bowl of that sticky, dangerously dark stew of pork belly!!



I also tried out  an eggplant salad, steamed till slippery soft and ready to soak up the perky dressing of black vinegar, sesame oil, Xiao Hsing wine and soy sauce. A nice summery salad.




Honey Prawns, my style!


For the full story on our banquet check out our cooking club blog foodiescookingclub.blogspot.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment