Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Long Weekend

Our long weekend was about friends and food. We bravely decided to invite 5 other families to come for a bbq and swim (as it really does feel rather selfish to have a pool and not share it!). I asked the other families to each contribute either a salad or starter, so I could concentrate on the main event. 


When I started thinking about what to cook, it occurred to me that I had never roasted pork before -you know, with the crispy, salty crackling and unctuous tender and juicy meat. So thats what ended up on the plate, along fresh applesauce and a gorgeous gravy made from the pan juices deglazed with white wine. 


To cater for non-porkers, I also prepared some vietnamese inspired chicken skewers. A fragrant marinade of lemongrass, ginger, garlic, fish sauce, palm sugar and shallots infused diced chicken thighs overnight and grilled on the BBQ. Finger lick in' good!!


When I have so many tummies to feed I always try to think of no-fuss but still impressive options. So it was no surprise that for dessert I went to my trusty cinnamon poached peaches, which is usually served simply with double cream but this time, I thought it might be nice to have a coconut sorbet alongside. BOY! It did not fail-thanks to Martin Boetz (of Longrain fame)'s recipe for it in last month's "Masterchef" magazine. 


We were so busy eating that I didn't get any photos of anything! Oh well, I suppose I"ll just have to recreate them ;-)


NB The next day I made a killer banana, coconut and raspberry bread and my insightful husband decided some whipped honey butter was just the thing to spread on some warm, thick slabs of it. Comfort food.


How was your weekend?



No comments:

Post a Comment